The place of the private sector in the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and the role of Development Finance Institutions (DFIs) will be extensively discussed during this Summit.
Several high-level sessions will deal with issues on which European DFIs are strongly mobilized, such as support to the private sector in Africa, alignment with the Paris Climate Agreements or gender equality.
More details and the full programme can be found on the official website of the Summit: https://financeincommon.org/
Regular updates will be provided below on some of the key highlights of the Summit relating to the role of DFIs and the private sector in emerging and developing countries.
- A sustainable and inclusive recovery: The 15 European DFIs (EDFI) are joining forces to dedicate at least USD 4 billion to smaller businesses in Africa by the end of 2021. Find out more about the EDFI statement
- Climate : European Development Finance Institutions announce joint ambitions for climate action to phase out fossil fuels and mobilise private sector climate finance, aligning with Paris Agreement and high disclosure standards. Find out more about the EDFI statement
- Gender: more than 20 Public Development Banks want to strengthen their commitment by increasing their funding and accountability for gender equality. Read the statement
Several significant partnerships have been signed or renewed during the Summit, including:
- The renewal of the partnership between AFD, Proparco and DBSA (Development Bank of Southern Africa Limited) for 2020-2025 to support South Africa's green transition. More information
- USD 200+ million capital increase for TCX. Investors support TCX to protect the poorest against FX risks amidst COVID-19. More information
On the occasion of the "Finance in common" summit, the Private Sector and Development (SP&D) magazine is publishing a special issue coordinated by the Association of European Development Finance Institutions (EDFI). In this special edition of the Private Sector & Development magazine, some of EDFI's member institutions share their views and explore ways to intensify their collaboration with other financial institutions.