One of the major challenges facing Southern countries today is to develop strong, efficient and successful businesses. Indeed, the private sector is a driving force of economic growth in these countries and its sustainability is consequently a prerequisite for sustainable and inclusive development.
In addition to its range of financial products, PROPARCO offers consultancy services to help its clients improve their financial, social and environmental performances. Technical support for businesses has proven to be a relevant tool that makes them stronger and increases their capacity to contribute to development.
Wide range of technical assistance projects
PROPARCO finances different types of technical assistance projects via grants:
- Strategic review: organizational diagnostic of the company (prior to a possible consultancy mission)
- Targeted consultancy mission: assignment of a short-term consultant to hold a position or for one of the company’s products
- Delegated consultancy missions for funds: financing for the technical assistance activity of investment funds to support companies in their portfolios.
This technical range of services is exclusively offered to companies that are already engaged in a financing procedure with PROPARCO, generally following the investment decision, but also prior to this with a preliminary diagnostic.
Two technical assistance mechanisms
- The technical assistance facility of FISEA, managed by PROPARCO, to finance technical assistance projects in sub-Saharan Africa
- The Support Fund for Governance Capacity Building (FRCG), managed by AFD, for missions to support governance in financial institutions
The requests PROPARCO receives for technical assistance are transmitted by the operational teams. The technical assistance unit subsequently:
- Appraises the requests
- Helps companies prepare the technical assistance projects and select consultants
- Helps these companies implement the technical assistance